Friday, February 18, 2011

Mamma, Mamma, Humma!

My little sister, Mia, is the world's biggest talker-box.

Seriously, she talks nearly every minute of every day. I don't find it annoying. As my parents can testify, I prattled without stopping for breath until age ten. (Side note: I watch VHS tapes of myself as a little girl and drive myself nuts! My poor, forbearing mom! lol) But the hilarious thing about Mia, is that even though she's speaking Chinese, we can almost always understand what she's saying! Not that we don't have ample material to work with: flailing arms and legs, wagging fingers, enthusiastic nods, squeals of excitement or displeasure, and her favorite word of all time--

Humma.

I'm considering adding that word to the Dictionary.

Humma, we've figured out means, generally:

What, where, when, how, why, because, aboard, about, above, across, after, against, along, by, down, during, except, for, from...etc. etc. etc. Basically the entire list of prepositions. hehehehe

When Mia wants to know anything it's always, "Humma? Mamma?" And often it's repeated two or three times before she trusts that we've heard her. :) Sometimes--and this is SO cute--she'll come up and say it right in our ear because she figures no one else can hear her. I guess it doesn't help that we do it to her all the time...

Another one of Mia's favorites is "aaaayyyyeeee." Just like that, long and sustained. I guess it's the Chinese version of "wow." But it's all in how you say it. If you're just somewhat impressed, it's a short, curt "aye." If you're astonished, then it's "aaaayyyeee." And if you're UTTERLY flabbergasted...well then, Mia just gives you the whisper-stare. :) It's pretty cute.

We like to joke that we have a Chinese-Irish-Italian girl, for when Mia points to ask if something's hers, she'll also say, "Mamma. Mia."

MAMMA-MIA! Get it? *kisses fingers* :)


But oh, how I love this little girl, and how glad I am that she's ours! One day, when she can speak English, we'll have one of those heart-to-heart sisterly chats I've always dreamed about. And I'll tell her what a character she was (and probably still is), and how her smile was sometimes the best part of my day. And then we'll laugh and grab an ice cream and head on over to Kohl's for some serious girl-bonding. :)

Hope you're all enjoying this beautiful, gloomy weather.

TGoodnessIF!!!!

2 comments:

Talia said...

Good post! I'm glad you're writing about Mia's antics. It'll be fun for her to read all about it someday...
Mom

Anonymous said...

Mamma Mia! I just got it!