Friday, March 4, 2011

Today's 11th Hour Miracle

God's ways are not our ways.

He doesn't take the obvious route or orchestrate the plan we think is best. To borrow the parallelism of C.S. Lewis' Narnia, "He's not a tame lion."

But He is always good, as today's events have testified.

We have been waiting over a week to receive Mia's hearing aids. Knowing they were to arrive yesterday, my mom scheduled an audiologist appointment for this morning at 10:15am. We were so excited! There's no way to put into words how anxiously we've awaited the day Mia would be able to hear (and therefore speak English).

Well, inevitably the hearing aids didn't arrive...

In fact, due to delay or what have you, they weren't due to arrive until sometime today.

Now usually FedEx delivers parcels to our door before 10am, but it isn't rare for them to swing by late in the afternoon.

All this morning, we've been praying. "Lord, please let the hearing aids come before Mia's appointment. Please get them here on time!"

9:45 this morning, they still hadn't arrived. My mom needed to leave in 15 minutes.

I was in the kitchen preparing dessert for tonight. Five minutes went by. Ten minutes. My mom gathered her purse, opened the garage door, and went to strap Mia into her car seat.

And what do ya know--the delivery truck pulled up right outside our house.

I looked at the clock. It as 10am. Right. on. the. money. :)

Needless to say, Mia was squealing with delight. (She's been counting down the days to "ews"! [ears]) As they left, I began thinking that God has a unique sense of humor.

Had those hearing aids come an hour before, a day before, my faith would not have been stretched to quite the extent it was. That if God had followed the conventional plan I ordained, today would have been much more boring, not to mention less stressful. Then again, I also would not have  prayed as earnestly as I did. I most certainly would not have written this post. And Mia would not have a "Joshua stone" to reflect upon as she grows older.

Even now, I can hear the Holy Spirit whispering to me. "Talia, I see everything, the big and the small, the important and the insignificant. Trust me."

Oh, that dreadful "t" word. :) It's hard for me to swallow. But everything is a stepping stone. And I'll always be able to look back on this day and remember God's incredible faithfulness...even if it was rather last-minute according to my standards. :)

No comments: