Friday, April 1, 2011

This is NOT an April Fools...

I've just had ten years taken off my life.

TEN.

Do you know what's like to loose ten years in a moment?
Today I took Mia to the park. Things were fine, both of us having a great time on the swings, playing tickle fight, etc. She was very anxious to show every kid on the playground her "new," hand-me-down, broken cell phone. :) Anyway, as we were leaving, I heard this voice say to me, "Check if both Mia's hearing aids are in."

Of course, they're both there, I thought. Why wouldn't they be? But just to ease my mind, I checked.

Right ear. Okay.
Left ear. Gone.

(For those of you who don't know, hearing aids cost between $4-6 THOUSAND dollars and are NOT covered by most insurances. We got Mia's pair from my uncle.)

So I started charading to Mia: "Mia, where's your hearing aid?"
Shrug. (As if she knew where it was--stupid me!)
"Where did you drop it?"

She couldn't answer me, so I ran back to the park. Mia tagged along behind, probaby wondering what was wrong with her older sister. I got down on my hands and knees and felt through the grass, through the woodchips, looked up and down the playground equpiment. All the time my heart is RACING and dollar signs are flashing through my mind. I kept thinking, "Somewhere on this playground, $2,000 are lying on the floor."

$2,000 DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was an old man at the park with his grandkids. Bless his heart, he noticed my frantic searching and asked if he could help. I told him what was the matter and soon we had a six member search-an-rescue team scouring the park.

Dear God, I prayed. Please help me find that hearing aid. PLEASE. PLEASE. Mom and dad are going to kill me!!!

Note: Has anyone ever looked for a CLEAR peice of tubing in a sea of woodchips? Forget needle in a haystack.
How 'bout: AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
"Grandpa," says the little boy. "What did it look like?"
I showed him Mia's other hearing aid.
"Hey, Grandpa! That's the thing I threw at you a litte while ago."
WHAT? Dear Lord, please...

Five seconds later the hearing aid was found, thrown far from where we were looking. Figures. But I think that little boy was really an angel in disguise. I told him, "Cooper, I could kiss you!" :) And I would have were it not for the fact that it might have been considered a little "much." :)

Oh, but I'm so sick. Sick to my gut at the thought that all that money could have been...I don't even want to think about it. Suffice it to say, I'm still breathing. But I've lost ten years of my life, I'm sure I have at least one grey hair, and--worse--NOBODY seems to care!!!! *sniff sniff*

So cut me some slack if this post is full of grammatical errors, misspellings, and what have you. I can't think for the life of me...

A VERY relieved and altogether emotionally-worn out,

No comments: