Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday Musings.

Well, it's Monday. Again. :(

Sometimes I think "Anti-Joy-Day" is out to get me personally. *sighs* Oh well, the only consolation is that I'm able to swim off all the extra calories I've consumed over the weekend. To continue...

Found this questionnaire on a blog I stumbled across recently. The original version was WAY too long, but I've edited it down to something readable...I think. Enjoy! :)

  • What, to you, forms the essence of a true heroine? 
A true heroine is a girl that isn't perfect. She doesn't say all the right things at the right time in the right way to the right person. She merely lives life to the fullest while having the discernment to avoid those things which may taint her character. She is a leader who knows her own mind, yet is open to suggestion, beautiful but able to channel her power into something good. A girl who has something intelligent and provoking to contribute to conversations, who will root for the underdog and despise the arrogant. Someone who has a servant's heart, but will not allow herself to be misused or imposed upon. She is a girl who has been tried by adversity and has come out triumphantly on the other side, confident in her successes, repentant of her failures. A girl with a heart worth winning, but not subject to false pretenses of modesty. A girl who can laugh at herself and at others (internally) without pause, someone who isn't overly concerned with how she looks, but still takes pride in her appearance. She is a girl with ambition, not content to be "normal," but setting herself apart from the status quo. She is a breath of fresh air, a beacon of light, trusted confidant, loyal friend, poised, graceful, intelligent, kind, spunky, humorous, daring (in a good way), adventurous, elegant, and altogether not like anyone you meet every day. :) How's that for an explanation? lol
  • Five of your favorite historical novels?
    • The Count de Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
    • Vanity Fair by William Thackeray
    • Queen Margot by Alexander Dumas
    • Four Feathers by W. Mason
    • Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
  • Out of those five books who is your favorite character and why? Definitely Harry Ferversham of The Four Feathers. You have to read the book to understand, but I find his character so wonderfully complex, so noble and brave, yet daring, loyal, and a man of his word.
  • If you were to plan out your dream vacation, where would you travel to --and what would you plan to do there? Oh, don't get me started. I'm saving for an England-Scotland-Ireland extraordinaire for my end-of-college graduation present...to myself. :)
  • What is your favorite time period and culture to read about? 18th century England or France--the Napoleonic Wars. I also enjoy stories about the French Revolution.
  • You have been invited to perform at the local charity concert. Singing, comedy, recitation--what is your act comprised of? Oh, boy. Well, I usually don't feel comfortable singing in front of a "big" crowd. While I can carry a tune, I was never trained to use my diaphragm and consequently my volume is not what it should be. But as it is for charity, I could make an exception. :) Otherwise, recitation. Maybe the Highway Man? *wink*
  • If you were to attend a party where each guest was to portray a heroine of literature, who would you select to represent? Wow. I'm really tempted to say someone cultured and refined, but I can't feign airs and graces  for the life of me. So I guess I would rather be the comedy relief. Maybe Miss Bates from Emma? :)
  • What are your sentiments on the subject of chocolate? Okay, I don't think there's quite enough time nor space to accurately express my "sentiments" on the subject. :) I believe chocolate is, in short, a gift from Heaven created expressly for my pleasure and sole consumption.
  • Favorite author(s)? Oh, so many! The Bronte Sisters, Mary Shelley, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, Alexander Dumas, Victor Hugo, C.S. Lewis, Gaston Leroux, Louisa May Alcott, Lucy Maud Montgomery... 
  • As a small, imaginative, red-haired damsel might query; would you rather be divinely beautiful, dazzlingly clever, or angelically good? Why? Well, like that particular titian-haired damsel, I can never quite make up my mind. :) I'd like to be divinely beautiful, but in the end, I think I'd rather be dazzlingly clever. Gets you more places than looks do. 
  • In which century were most of the books you read written? 19th century  England
  • In your opinion, the ultimate hero is…Is this where I get to copy my What- I-Must-Have-In-A-Husband list? lol No, seriously um...the ultimate hero is a guy I can respect. Who has a sense of humor, who is gracious and compassionate, gentle, yet physically and mentally strong. Determined. Persistent. Daring within the boundaries of common-sense. Constant. Good-looking (handsome, I guess would be the better word) and intelligent, a leader amongst men, able to carry himself well and confidently. Again, holds his own opinions but embraces other points of view. Someone who manages his money well, who tells the truth, seeks to rescue damsels in distress :), and has the poise of a gentleman. Someone who can appreciate a variety of music, literature, and art. Makes an effort to better those lower than himself. Knows what he's good at and never boasts in his own abilities. Someone who is humble, but not a door mat. Able to find humor in the little things of life, an athlete, secure in himself, noble, courageous, takes initiative, able to take (and occasionally give) a dare :), a guy who will sweep you off your feet and never know you exist. That's usually the hero. :)
  • Describe your ideal dwelling place.  Depends. Am I single or married? :) Right now I would love a two story flat smack-dead in the center of New York City. Or at least someplace clean and bustling with life. Married, I want a single-story house in the neighborhood where I now reside. 
  • Have you ever wanted to change a character’s name? Yes. In the Disney movie Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken, the hero's name "Al" doesn't suit his face, mannerisms, or personality. And it burns my soul! I mean, really. Al is such a boring, prudish, unromantic name for someone altogether tall, dark, and handsome. Oh, and Gilbert Blythe from Anne of Green Gables. I know someone with that name, and I don't care for the association. :)
  • In your opinion, the most dastardly villain of all literature is...I don't know. Confession: I tend to like the bad guy in books! Javert from Les Mis is a good villain. So is the Phantom in Phantom of the Opera. But I can't bring myself to say they're the all-time worst, so....I'm namingggggggggg....the father of David Copperfield. He's just NOT a nice man!
  • Three favorite Non-fiction books? 
    • Going Rogue by Sarah Palin
    • Passion and Purity by Elizabeth Elliot
    • Joni by Joni Erikson Tada
  • Your duties met for the day, how would you choose to spend a carefree summer afternoon? When are duties ever met for the day? :) Well first, I'd kick everyone out of the house so that I could play the piano in peace and quiet, then I'd retire to my bedroom for a hour or so of delicious reading, then I'd take the laptop and write...after which I'd watch a movie. 
  • Create a verbal sketch of your dream hat - in such a way as will best portray your true character. My true character....muaw-hahahaha. Well actually, my dream hat is the big purple one from Titanic (have not seen the movie).


 
As I'm not about to get flowery, I'll just say...sophisticated, dramatic, fashionable, complimentary, and full of mystique. How's that for a skewed portrait of my character? lol 

 Share the most significant event(s) that have marked your life in the past year.
Well, apart from the fact that we adopted a little girl from CHINA, I turned eighteen, and also finished my Congressional Award, I can't think of anything much. :) 

Hope you're all havin' a great evening! Love,


No comments: