Sunday, May 15, 2011

Are You Good?

[I can't believe it.

For the first time in a month, I am surrounded by complete and total silence. No one talking, no one playing, not even the muffled noise of my brothers goofin' around upstairs...nothing. I am sitting alone in my bedroom *celestial choir*, and the only sounds I can hear are those of the birds chirping and the staccato click of my fingers wandering over the keyboard. Wow! Savor this moment...]

So today I've been thinking a lot about a question I get asked quite often. In fact, I think every musician encounters this question at some point in their lives. It usually comes up during an introductory conversation. You know, when you meet someone for the first time. You make small talk, ask them how their day is going, and then when the subject of hobbies comes up, you tell them your interests. For me this includes playing the piano--at which point they will usually respond: "Oh, that's cool. Are you good?"

Am I good? That's a really hard question to answer. I mean, what am I supposed to say? "Um, yeah actually, you know I've been playing for blah-blah-blah years and could probably outshine any pathetic attempt from you." That doesn't sound the least bit conceited, does it? :)

On the other hand, if I say "No, I'm not really that good," I feel like a) I'm lying and b) I'm providing wrong information that will subsequently produce a wrong opinion of me. Besides which, I hate false modesty almost as much as I hate a show-off. If you're good, you're good. No need to pretend otherwise. And no need to flaunt it either...'cause there's no way you'll loose my respect faster. ;)

So what are you supposed to say? I think so? Maybe? Kinda sorta? 

Most times, in an effort to be both gracious and honest, I'll just answer, "Well, I've been playing since I was 5 years old, so I guess you'll have to tell me."

[Random note: forget about 'sheer and utter silence.' *sighs* The noise is back. ;)]

If you think about it, no true musician would ever think to ask that question. The person obviously plays, how well they play is a matter of opinion. I know of a lot of people who think they can play and can't, and I know a few who genuinely think they can't play and can. ;) You're only as good as people tell you you are. (And even that doesn't mean much these days. Just watch the new season of Britain's Got Talent--you'll see what I mean. lol!)

Anyway, not a brilliant blog post, just somethin' that's been rattling around in my mind for the last few days...I need to get these things out, otherwise they encroach on the genius that really exists up in this here grey matter. ;)

Hope you're all enjoying this beautiful Sunday evening. I'm so relaxed from the spa day my mom and I had yesterday, I'm as limp as noodle and useless to anyone. ;) [By the way, does anyone know what it's like to be boiled, broiled, cooked, and/or saturated in mineral baths and Jacuzzis for six hours?...let me tell ya--HEAVEN ON EARTH!!!! But I won't make you jealous. Only this: that mud baths work absolute wonders on your skin. I don't know why I can't take one every day. My skin feels like silk!]

Enjoy your evening!

1 comment:

michelle said...

No my dear, you a not good...you are amazing! Musically talented and gifted!!!! ;)

And I am definitely jealous of your spa day! :)

Michelle