Friday, May 20, 2011

Dare NOT to Wait.

I'm so happy. 

Today I completed two of my final exams for school. This means that I am less than one week away from being done, done, DONE with my first two years of college!

AAAAHHHH!!!!! 

I cannot believe how fast this year has flown by! Actually these last several years. I mean, it seems like only yesterday I was terrified over taking my CHSPE exam; and now two years later, I'm getting ready to transfer into my four-year! I still have to fill out the "official" application, but if all goes well, I should be studying Victorian Literature and Shakespearian History next term. Don't you pity me? :P My dad is full of "kind" words to say. He was a science major who had the impudence to take Chemistry, Calculus, and Physics all in the same semester, but hey--it's not like he wasn't free to become an artist either! ;)

All my life, my mom has told me and my brothers, "Do what you love, and you'll never work a day in your life." Even though I don't plan on being the bread-winner of a future family, I still think there's a significant amount of truth in those words for myself and other single women. 

So many times, I think Christian conservatives are of the mindset that a woman's place is in the home and only in the home. I can't say I agree with that. I believe that a woman's place is, quite simply, wherever God calls her, doing whatever He calls her to. I think it's a mistake to indoctrinate girls with one, broad-sweeping mentality because the consequences are...well, I call it the "wait syndrome." Girls so bent on waiting for their future Prince that they fail to use their God-given talents. And I'm not just talking how to bake better cookies. I'm talking about the reason they were put on this planet! (Of course, if you were born to make delicious cookies that boggle the imagination and so point people to Christ, I will be your #1 customer and fan!) 

I'm sorry, but I refuse to put my life, dreams, and ambitions on hold while I wait for Mr. Right to make his appearance. *dodges bullets*  I've got enough to deal with in this season of my life without wasting time making "lists of qualifications" the length of Long Island. That doesn't stop me from daydreaming sometimes--I play MASH like every other girl ;)--but I really don't think marriage is the end-all that we Christians make it out to be. After all, on the grand scale of things, a courtship only lasts for very small a fraction of time. Your life will go on a good deal longer. My point being, if Mr. Wonderful waltzes into my life, sweeps me off my feet, and carries me off into the sunset kicking and screaming in surprise, so be it! :D 

I think we, as Christian girls, need to stop putting God in a box and asserting what we think is His perfect will for our lives. We need to leave ourselves open to hear His voice, His calling, even if it means defying conventional, Christian "norms." And I think pillars of faith like Amy Carmichael and Elizabeth Elliot would agree with me. These women weren't content to wait like their peers. They weren't content to sit around and dabble in homemaking until God brought them a husband. (Again, not saying that homemaking is a bad thing; just not the reason for life.)They were solely focused on God's work, on living to please Him and Him alone. And for their implicit trust, they lived their lives to the hilt! It's ironic really: on one hand, we praise these women and others like them for their immense contribution to the Kingdom; on the other, we cower in horror of following their example. It's time to step up to the plate. Not every woman is called to the jungles of India and Ecuador, but are we willing to go where no one else dares? To do what no one else dares? These women's faith took them to the deepest, darkest places of our world. To jungles and temples and brothels and poverty and indigenous peoples, places no "good, Christian girl" would dare go and certainly not alone! Humph, if Amy and Elizabeth had listened those guys, we would certainly be the worse off for it, wouldn't we? I think that if they could have looked forward into the future, the parents, pastors, friends, and loved ones who objected the most would have instead given a big grin and said: "You get 'em, Girl!"

May the same be said of us as we look to CHRIST for our fulfillment, not content to wait. ;)

No comments: