Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day Off!

Well, I finally have a moment to sit down and write. ;) Today is my day off, and believe me, I'm taking FULL advantage!!!! We are on the go from 8am to 7:30pm, six days a week. It's crazy, hectic, and wonderful all at the same time. ;)

So...I just wanted to take a moment and update you on what's been going on. I feel like I haven't talked to anyone in forever. :(

There's a lot, so I'll just give you the main highlights....
1. The grounds here are absolutely stunning! We're perched right across a gorgeous lake, and at sunrise and sunset, the clouds turn brilliant colors. It feels like Heaven to just sit back, close your eyes, and here nothing but the sound of your breathing and the birds chirping. ;)

2. Have met a BUNCH of awesome, strong Christians. Everyone is from a variety of countries: England, Scotland, Hungary, Germany, Finland, Russia, etc. There are quite a few people here from the States as well. Many of them are going to Bible College in the Fall.

3. Work in the kitchen (that's where I was assigned) has been a blast! The head chef, Maxine, is English and has all sorts of interesting names for her cooking instruments. For instance, she calls a spatula a "fish slicer", strainers "sieves," and the seeds in a green pepper "pips." It's been jolly good fun, it has! :-) I think I'm picking up an accent of my own in some words--I caught myself once and was like, "Who are you?"

4.  You wouldn't think that doing dishes all day would be very fun, but I'm actually enjoying it immensely. Yesterday, there was a stack the size of mount "Pillowmenjaro" (Tim Hawkin's joke) ;-).  I thought about taking a picture just to show you how ridiculous it was, but my camera was in the Villa. As we were washing, Sean and Attlia (the grounds guy--he's married to an American girl and they have the cutest love story and the most adorable little boy, Armen) and I had a GREAT political discussion. It's the first time someone has talked politics with me since I've been here. I must have been really excited because a couple of people asked, "Are you going to be a politician or something?"

5. Have had several beautiful thunder storms. The BIG kind - as in the entire sky turns purple with the lightning. :-) It was awesome! A bunch of us were sitting in the castle (it was late at night and dark) when the storm struck and the thunder began. I couldn't help but relish every moment. Not many people can boast that they spent the night in a castle in midst a thunderstorm. It's raining again now...
6. Praise Report: I love my room mates (so far anyway--lol!) and everyone has been very friendly and welcoming.

Prayer Requests:

Please pray that the Lord would continue to work in my heart and in the hearts of my fellow SOS team mates. We are always together and, as is natural in situations like these, it's easy to rub someone the wrong way. Please pray for patience, for a willingness to serve, and for the strength to meet the needs of the guests who come here. Pray for unity within the team, direction for the staff, and that this summer would just be one of maturity and growth. ;)

Hope you all are doing well. Write me, and let me know what's going on in your lives. I may not have a chance to respond right away, but I LOVE to hear news from home...

Missing you all!

No comments: