Friday, July 29, 2011

Update from Austria!

Hey Guys,

So I know it's been a while, and I've neglected (shamefully) to update this blog. :( Rest assured however, I have NOT fallen off the face of the planet. It's just been one of those crazy last few weeks...Here's some of what's been going on--in a nutshell:

1) We are up to a whopping 41 SOS people, including staff. Apprently, this is one of the biggest turnouts yet. It's great, but at the same time more complicated...and more difficult to connect with people on a deeper level. But I've met some awesome believers, and in my small groups, a kindred spirit or two...

2) Summer of Service it is NOT!!! We are cold, wet, and rainy in Austria this year. Thunderstorms, snow-capped mountains, umbrellas...you name it. It's COLD!!! Several of us have been forced to break out the gloves, hoodies, and mittens. Oh, and let's not forget double-layered socks, blankets, and portable heaters! Not exactly winter (today is acually warm), but on the days it is cold, it's freezing! The nice thing is, I have a good excuse to drink loads of coffee/tea. :) I just wish I brought my wooly boots.

3) Things continue to go well in the kitchen. Injuries have been minimal, and my cooking buddies, Josh and Albert and I, are becoming good chums (as they say in England). I am pleased to say, that I have not broken a dish or cut myself since I've been here. Unlike Josh, who in addition to breaking two plates and a bowl, nearly chopped his finger off a few weeks back. Or Albert, who burnt his hand severely AND broke a glass cup. Tisk, tisk! lol No, the worst I've endured so far is a square inch burn on my thigh. That's what happens when you lean up against a recently-turned-off-but-still-blazing-hot oven! In my defense though, the indicator light was off. :D

4) I will never complain about doing dishes again. I didn't know so many dishes could exist on this planet, let alone in one kitchen! And we use them ALL just about every other day....lol

5) We're having a costume/dress up night next Satuday after turn around. (Turn around is when we take the castle apart and put it back together again for the next conference--every Saturday!)  I'm SO excited. I'm thinking of dressing up as the evil Queen in Snow White. But I'm not sure. Open to ideas...hint, hint! :) 

6) We're also going to Italy again in two weeks. This time, for some pizza and some beach fun. I'll be sure to post pictures.

7) My new proverb: 'Roomates come and go, but Julia and Talia endure forever!' Seriously, we are the only ones in our room who haven't been moved at some point in the summer. It's sad, because you start getting to know these girls (midnight chats and all) and then they have to leave. Even if it's just down the hall or up to the castle, it's not the same as waking up in the morning to each other's bed hair, acne, halitosis, puffy eyes, etc. You feel so much closer to one another! :)

8) Adventure here never ceases. I had the opportunity to go climbing again. This time THROUGH a mountain river. It was wonderful and...cold. :) The water was numbing this last time. I could only stay in it for a minute or two. But it was a blast nonetheless. Not many people can boast that they've been free-style rock climbing in Austria! :) (Free-style as in no ropes or gear....)

Well, that's about all I have time for. I'll try to post pictures soon. Write me and let me know how you're all doing. :)

Miss u guys!
Talia

No comments: