Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Branching Out Into New Territory...

For as long as I can remember, people have teased me for being "too feminine."

I know. Me? A girly-girl? Ridiculous! :P Not. :)

I am very much of a "pretty-in-pink" philosophy. (Except when I get into my competitive mode and people wonder why I'm still alive...lol) But in all honesty: don't you think it's harder to be a girl nowadays? Especially a girl with spunk?

One on hand, we're told that pretty=sexy. ('Cause you know it just can't mean anything else, right?) On the other, we're encouraged to abandon all feminine "conventions" and turn Rosie the Riveter. I'll confess, it's very hard to find a perfect balance: how to be modest, but still dress with class and flare, not to mention your own personal style. It's something I've struggled with all my life.

BUT no longer. I've recently been inspired by a girl who wore one dress for 100 days to raise money for orphans. You can check out her blog here: misselanious.com (Go through her back posts...)

Anyway, I was so impressed by her good taste, I decided to copy (as best I could) her wardrobe. This is the first outfit I've put together, and I thought I'd share it with you all in case you wanted to play around with the idea. ;)
Black dress, fuschia top, a scarf that I turned into a make-shift belt, a black hat, silver bangle, and black wedge-heel shoes. Simple. Direct. And very cute though I do say so myself. ;)

Now go tackle your wardrobe!
(You'll be amazed to discover how much useful "junk" you actually own!)

1 comment:

carreena said...

Fun idea! I love making do with what I've got, because it often forces me to get more creative with my style...and to pull out those things I'd never have used otherwise.

For example...we were looking all over town for a shirt we thought we needed for Angela's wedding. Didn't find a single thing anywhere. Came home and realized Blair's dress wasn't going to work after all so we needed yet another option...and then we pulled out a few things from the "stash" (including a skirt that we thought didn't fit and a sash from two outfits from when we were little) and realized that if we were creative we could come up with three really cute outfits without buying anything new! Yay! =)