Monday, October 24, 2011

Poly-Tics. :)

Politics. It comes in two words. "Poly," which means "many"...
And "tics," which are blood-sucking leeches!

Fyi, I did not fabricate this joke. :) I got it from Christian comedian Taylor Mason. But it serves as a very nice introduction to this post...

I love politics. It's my life's blood (among other things). If there were no politics, there would be nothing to talk about, think over, argue, debate, etc. And I love debate.

I know politics can be a touchy subject for most people. And I'll admit, I can get pretty wound up in the midst of a heated discussion. The difference is, I can keep it pent up under a smiling facade so that nobody ever knows how I'm really feeling--and then go home and scribble about it later.

But to continue...

I watched the GOP Nevada debate on YouTube last Thursday. Very interesting. Enlightening, as I said to a friend of mine. I hadn't really been following the candidates until now. But I have to admit, my curiosity has been officially piqued.

Now before I go any further, I want to make clear that I am NOT endorsing any particular candidate at this time. Of course I have my favorites, but I seriously just want to make sense of all ideas rumbling around in my head. So without any further ado...

Rick Perry:

Don't know what to think about him. On one hand, he seems to have some really great ideas. On the other, he's not a very skilled debater, and his little tousle with Romney really lowered him in my estimation. A President has to be a politician in the sense that he needs to be able to exercise control his emotions. It's one thing to push your point; it's quite another to be obnoxious about it. I think his dogmatism really painted him in a bad light...more so than it put the pressure on Romney. So while I have no doubt that Gov. Perry has done some good for the people of Texas, I don't think America wants a time-bomb in the Oval Office.

Rick Santorum.
Seems to be an all-American family man. Not sure if he's the Presidential caliber we're looking for though. Almost seems too nice, if that's possible. He didn't get a lot of time to speak, but what he did say, I agreed with. The jury's still out on this one...

Herman Cain:
Well, for starters, I think he's a very knowledgeable businessman. However, I don't agree with his 9-9-9 tax plan at all. At least not from what they were saying at the debate. I do believe in a flat tax, but I don't care to be paying for "apples" and "oranges" at the same time. (Wasn't that a hilarious moment? I nearly died laughing. Let's see...how many times can we repeat the same thing without getting our point across? lol)

Mitt Romney:
Eesh. Slippery! That's all I can say. I don't know, Romney will probably do very well in the polls, but as a politician, I would be very nervous putting him in office. Reminds me of a cross between Bill Clinton and JFK. All charm and intelligence, but what's up his sleeve? One thing I will say for him though, he certainly can keep his cool under pressure. I went to one of his rallies back in 2008 and remember being very impressed by the way he carried himself. I think he has the look of a President.

Newt Gingrich:
Hmmm, I think I like him, but I'm not at all familiar with his career enough to say. Interesting what he said about a candidate's religion though. The moderator asked whether or not voters should take Romney's religion (Mormonism) into account when they vote. I thought Newt's answer was very poised and diplomatic and answered the question without coming across as too opinionated. Anyway, Rush Limbaugh seems to think he'd be a good pick...we'll see how he does in the polls.

Ron Paul:
I really respect this guy. He's one of the few who's willing to say what needs to be said without beating around the bush. At the same time, I think he's a little too radical. Which is why I don't foresee him doing well in the polls. There's only two things that I disagree with so far. 1) He proposes cutting defense spending by 15%. Bad idea, in my opinion. Even Ronald Regan knew that the most sovereign nation maintains "peace through strength." Secondly, on the issue of illegal immigration, I'm for building a wall across our southern border. I hope that Paul does well in his future career, but I can't imagine his views will be accepted by a majority of Americans.

Michele Bachman:
Okay, I know you're going to call me a feminist, but can I just say it would be really cool to have a female President in 2012? :) I mean, you talk about making history, let's make history. Not sure how she stands on foreign policy, but I believe she has the finesse, brains, and experience for a Commander in Chief. Lots I can say for this woman, but I thought her delivery was impeccable. I attended one of her rallies last year, and had the opportunity to ask if she would consider running for President. Though she gave me the round-about answer then, it seems I was right! ;)

Anyway, just something to think about. And again, please don't take my opinions out of context. Their just my opinions...and while this country is still free, I'm entitled to them! ;)

Happy Monday!

No comments: