Thursday, October 13, 2011

Words of Wisdom

Just finished studying Henry David Thoreau this week. For those of you who don't know, Thoreau was the 19th century Transcendetalist, philosopher, and Naturalist who wrote Walden. He is also the author of the famous essay Civil Disobedience.

Anyway, most of his work is not rooted in a Biblical world-view. However, some of the things he had to say are very compelling. I've enjoyed reading his work...when it didn't put me to sleep! lol Unfortunately, I made the mistake of misreading my syllabus and doing two weeks worth of homework in one...so I basically read all of Walden in a single week. Yeeah. Don't ever do that. Not good for your eyes, digestion, health, morale, etc. My brain, as for as Thoreau is concerned, has been reduced to mush! 

But I digress.

I wanted to write down some of the inspirational quotes I took with me. Some are humorous, some are profound, and others just pertain to my life as yet. Hope you glean from them as much as I did.

"...You can't kill time without injuring eternity."

"A student who wishes for a shelter can obtain one for a lifetime at an expense not greater than the rent which he now pays annually."

"Those things for which money is most demanded are never the things which a student wants most."

"...Don't play life or study it--live it!"

"We are in great haste to construct a magnetic telegraph from Maine to Texas; but Maine and Texas, it may be, have nothing important to communicate." (How does this argument fit with the concept of facebook, I wonder? :P)

"One piece of good sense would be more memorable than a monument as high as the moon."

"None is so poor that he need sit on a pumpkin." (I'm so going to use that someday!)

"Often the poor man is not so cold and hungry as he is dirty and ragged and gross. If you give him money, he will perhaps buy more rags with it."

"I never knew, and shall never know, a worse man than myself."

And then, my crowning favorite...

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."

So true, so simple, so right.

Hope you guys are having a great day! And smile, 'cause tomorrow's FRIDAY!!!! :D :D :D

No comments: