Saturday, November 5, 2011

Are You There?

So I don't know why I'm on a singing theme, but I figure since I'm on a roll, I might as well continue...lol

Just got back from running some errands. I don't know about you, but I love being alone in the car! There's something so therapeutic about driving 45 mph with the sun streaming into your eyes and the dusky wind whistling over your windshield (how's that for alliteration, Carreen? :P). I usually take advantage of these opportunities to sing. :P Ahem. That is, practice using my diaphragm. ;P lol I'm sure the people next to me at the stoplight think I'm totally crazy, but hey--it's not like they can hear me. I hope. :)

Anyway, as I was driving to and from the grocery store, I had that Jackson 5 song playing in my head like a broken record. "You and I, must make a pact...We must bring salvation back....Just call my name, and I'll be there...." 

Those lyrics brought me back to earlier in the afternoon, when I met a friend of mine for coffee. *sighs* Isn't it amazing how fellowship with another believer leaves you feeling so...encouraged? Exhilarated? Confident that the thing you're going through will come out all right in the end? Why is it that we don't share with people what's really going on in our lives? Why are we so adamant about putting up barriers to keep people out?

Let me tell you something, it took 18 years for me to learn to trust friends and even family members with my feelings. To be vulnerable enough to say: "Hey, this is what's going on in my life right now, and it really hurts. Can you pray for me?" I wish I had learned this lesson earlier. How much pain and internal anguish I might have saved myself! And how good it is to hear that you're not the only one!

You're not the only one who's going through a tough relationship.
You're not the only who doesn't know what to say to that guy that likes you, but won't take the hint.
You're not the only one to cry into your pillow at night.
To think about curling up into a little ball and refusing to start another day.
You're not the only one to look in the mirror and shake your head at the image you find there.

It's real. It's normal. It's life. And honestly, I don't think God intended for us to live it alone. Bear one another's burdens. That can be such a tall order. Who wants to admit they don't have it "all together?"

Some people live under the delusion that acknowledging one's feelings is a sign of weakness. For me, it's one of the hardest things I've ever done. Because at the end of the day, it means taking off the mask and letting people see who I truly am. And it may not always be pretty. But what a blessing to have people who love you anyway! Who are there to see you--you--with all your imperfections and flaw and vulnerabilities! Who are "there" when you call their name! There to comfort you..."to fill your heart with joy and laughter."

I think all of us need to stop and look around at the people whom God has created to be HIS love with skin on. And if you're one of those people, ask yourself: are you there for the brother or sister in Christ who may just need an ear to listen...or a shoulder to cry on...a hug...a smile...a thumbs up. Something to say, "We're all in this together. Keep pressing forward. Finish your race, and I'll be running right there beside you."

Don't let pride keep you from experiencing all of God's blessings. Be that someone to make a rainy day smile!

Happy Saturday!

No comments: