Thursday, November 3, 2011

Live Like You Were Dyin'

I'm one of those people who can't run without music. It's just an oddity of mine. I need something upbeat to keep my mind off the pain! :) But anyhow. As I was pumping iron this afternoon, the thought came to me that English majors have to rebel every once in a while! I'd been cramming my head full of literary devices and terms in preperation for my midterms next week. So I happily ditched Michael Buble for a much-needed country splurge . :) Now I'm not a huge fan of Tim McGraw, but one of his songs had such inspirational lyrics that I just had to share it with y'all.

The song talks about a man who was diagnosed with a terminal illness and what he would do with the time he had left. This is what he says:

I went sky diving
I went Rocky Mountain climbing
I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named FuManchu
and I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter
and I gave forgiveness I'd been denying
and he said someday I hope you get the chance
to live like you were dying.

What would it be like to live like we were dying? How would we change? What would we do differently? The idea really got me thinking. Do I treat the people in my life as if I was never going to see them again? What kind of friend am I? What kind of sister or daughter? What kind of Christian? When people are around me, do they feel encouraged or discouraged? Loved or rejected? Am I really fulfilling my life's purpose? Am I doing all that I was put on this planet to accomplish?

So often I think we take life for granted. It's good times, it's hardships, the ups and downs, circular patterns, and clear-cut adventures! I know for me, I tend to get bogged down in the complexity of the future, trying to work everything out before it happens. lol What would it look like if I just took one moment at a time. Every day. Without worrying about the next week. What if I invested in people the way Christ has invested in me? Served as He served. Loved as He loved. Wouldn't that be the empitome of a fulfilled life? Being God's hands and feet to the people in my sphere of influence?

Take a moment and really think...what would you do if, starting tonight, you had only 6 months left to live? What long lost friend would you call up and invite to coffee? How much time would you spend in the Word? On facebook?  Playing games with your siblings? How would you begin to view your time in rush hour traffic? Is it a waste? Or an oppotunity to pray?

For me, there are some people in my past that require an apology. Many to whom I need to extend forgiveness. Dozens who need to know just how much I love them!

Don't let today bereave you of tomorrow's joys and sorrows. Embrace them! Cherish them! And know that pain and suffering exist that we may know the beauty of joy and laughter! Just like love is precious because we know what it is to hate.

I hope that we may become people who live our lives to God's fullest. Not wild and recklessly, but purposefully; that at the end of our lives we may look back and say, "I lived each and every day to the same extent as if I were dying."

Let this thought be our motivation as we tackle the upcoming weekend!

Love and blessings to all,

3 comments:

Karissa said...

Talia,

I just happened along your blog this evening...and I don't think that it was chance! Wonderful post, and so true... we should truly live everyday like we're dying! We all have one shot at life...and HE might call us to our true home any moment. May we always be ready!

carreena said...

This is so funny, I heard that song ages ago and thought it was kinda cool yet (dare I say) somewhat cheesy? But it randomly popped into my head at some point last year and it did get me thinking in much the same way that it did for you. And it inspired a song of my own (which is more like lyrics lacking a tune to this day), so now "Live Like You're Dying" has a special place in my memory. =)

If you feel like reading a non-draft-more-like-a-scribbling-not-even-music-lyrics, here's the link. *Wink*

http://carreena.wordpress.com/2010/05/03/beginnings/

carreena said...

Oh yeah, and this morning on my way to the grocery before our home study for the adoption, I discovered the country station, too...so now I'm switching over from Owl City and Sky Sailing to Josh Turner...*sings and starts Lindy-Hopping/Jitterbugging* "Why don't we just dance?!"