Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Merry Christmas!

Boy. Where has the time gone? It seems like only yesterday I was sitting here posting about Thanksgiving and now we're a mere five days away from Christmas! :O I apologize for my absence. Life has been crazy and extraordinarily busy of late. (When is it not?) So, I'll just do a little recap of December in the hopes that it will catch everyone up to date. ;)

Firstly. We celebrated Mia's one year adoption anniversary. Yay! Afterwards, we  took Mia to get her ears pierced. After all, she'd only been talking about it for the last year. lol You should have seen her gleeful face. She kept bouncing up and down squealing, "All-done China! All-done China!"

It's hard to believe how far we've come in such a short space of time. At this time last year, five of us were laid up in bed with the flu (which, counting both relapses, lasted a total of two months!) with an eight year old who evaded sickness completely and didn't know how to play with toys. Ugh. Don't even want to think about that experience. I remember the Mia of last year and marvel at her progress. I mean, talk about a miracle of God! Mia, in a few short months, has:
  • learned her ABC's (capital letters and lowercase)
  • numbers 1-100
  • basic reading and addition
  • cursive writing 
  • conquered her fears of animals, going down slides, and water 
  • grown a total of 6.5 inches
  • gained 17 pounds
  • learned to tie her shoes, ride a bike without training wheels, and pump her legs on a swing
All in all, it's been a great year. Hard, but definitely worthwhile. I can't imagine life without this fun-loving sister of mine--the cutest and the most competitive in the universe! Everything she does is an effort to be more like me. :) Today, for example, she informed that she would be having custody of my cell phone for a while. *rolls eyes* Yeah. Dream on, little girl...

Secondly, I had finals exams. And oh, boy did I have them! Two of my classes required thesis papers, 5 and 12 pages long respectively. Not too bad on the whole, but between working 30.5 hours last week and 28 hours the week before, it was pretty challenging to say the least! I don't know how full time employees go back to school. By the day's end I'm too exhausted to do anything. ;) But I digress. My American Lit. exam topic was pretty cool--all about the Romantic movement of the 19th century. Maybe I'll post it here sometime...I'm very proud of my "baby." ;) The other was on media convergence in the motion picture industry. Both received super nice grades. But I for one am super glad they're over. Now I can enjoy Christmas without the anxiety of deadlines!

Work continues to go well. I've been given more hours, which is a double-edged sword. It means more money...but less time for anything else. ;) I'm trying to be a good witness and share the love of Christ with my co-workers. But it's hard. I had exposure to profanity and less-than-appropriate conversations on my various sports teams, but it's a whole different level in the "real" world. And as a newbie, I know I haven't yet scratched the surface. People are still on "good behavior" with me. I'm hoping for opportunities to share my faith with some of the other girls. At the same time, I'm not a saint. And when one girl in particular gets on my nerves, my first reaction is to make snide comments right back at her. But I have to stop myself and remember who I'm representing. :) Gives a whole new meaning to "turning the other cheek." I've had people hate my guts before, but the ones who hate you passive-aggressively are the worst! And I'm going to stop talking now 'cause if I don't, I'm going to say something I'll regret. ;)

Christmas preparations are in full swing. Our house has been lit aglow with lights, and Mia is very thrilled that the presents under the tree keep growing. Everyday, she runs into our living room, plops herself down on the floor, and begins counting..."Mama give Mia present. Talia give Mia...Joseph give Mia...etc." She and my dad have this game involving "Christmas socks," where they try to "sniff" them out all over the house. It's one of those games I know my dad is going to play with his future grand kids. ;)

I just love this time of year. Not so much because of the presents and the decorations, but because of the love that goes into everything. It's truly amazing how the hard lines soften and new laugh lines are formed during the holidays. People seem so much more open, warm, and receptive. It's a pity it takes a date on a calendar to make us sympathetic towards each other. And in reality, it's not even about us. It's about Christ who came to this Earth as a little child, born unto a virgin, and destined to die on a cross. Thank you, Jesus, for that unconditional love.

Hope you guys are enjoying a wonderful holiday season!

Merry Christmas!

No comments: