Monday, March 5, 2012

God Only Knows...


For those of you who don't know (and I'm guessing this would be most of you), I have very vivid dreams.
No, I am not prophetic. I was just going to say that whether I'm dreaming about military sabotage or trying to avoid being trampled by a giant cookie, my dreams are very real. And very clear. Like a movie. In fact, I hate waking up because real life is so much more boring than what goes on in my subconscious gray matter. ;)

Anyway, all that to say that several days ago, I had a delicious dream about--smoothies. ;) One smoothie in particular. In fact, the smoothie that my dad used to buy for me every time we'd go to the grocery store. A little background: When I was a wee tyke, shopping with my dad meant one of three things: a cookie from the bakery, a strawberry/banana/kiwi smoothie drink from the refrigerated juice section, or a blue banana sticker on my nose! lol

Well, tonight my brain chose to dream about the drink. And boy, did I dream about it. I could taste it on my tongue, feel that liquid yumminess running over my lips and down my throat...oh, it was just Heaven.

And then I woke up.
And I was legitimately sad.
Because I'm broke.
And I feel the subtle-yet-ever-painful sting whenever I fork over $3.75 for a Starbucks mocha frap.
And put simply, I simply can't afford the tastes of my tastebuds. ;(

So yeah. I was disappointed when I swung my legs out of bed and stared at myself blankly in the bathroom mirror for five minutes. And I was sinking into despair by the time I splashed cold water on my face and greeted the world through the lenses of contacts. And I just prayed as my stomach gurgled, "Dear, Lord. I know it's silly. But I would really like a Naked smoothie right now." (That's the name of the company! And yes, I did pray that prayer! :P)

Fast-forward a couple of hours, my mom called me at work to ask if I could stop by the grocery store on my way home. "Sure," I told her. There was a pause. Then she smiled through the phone and I could just hear the patronization dripping from her voice as she said the words: "Oh, and feel free to grab a smoothie while you're at it."

I nearly dropped the cell phone for joy! Me? A smoothie? My dreamt-of, cried-over little craving? And I had just prayed that morning? And hadn't told anyone about it? And she didn't mention anything about Starbucks (which is inside the store)? Was I dreaming? It seemed plausible.

Needless to say, things got even better. Which is unusual because things rarely get better, they only get worse, which is disheartening to say the least, but I guess it coincides with the second law of Thermodynamics which says that all things are in a constant state of decay....

But I digress. Just when I thought things couldn't get any better, they did!

The small bottle of juice was $3.79.
The BIG bottle of juice was $4.79. And it was triple the size! *claps and squeals*

So I bought the big bottle (cuz hey, it was mom's treat!) and if I hadn't, she would have killed me for passing up such a great deal...

And as I watched that plastic pink bottle roll down the conveyor belt, I honestly had a moment of separation anxiety. But it was only for a moment, because the lady soon entrusted it back into my tender care. And as I cradled it with both hands, looking more like a child than a child possibly can look, I managed a big smile and whispered under my breath, "Thank you, God!"

Don't be afraid to hope for the little things. God hears. And He knows, better than we do sometimes, what can rock our world.

Let that encourage you as you begin your week!
Blessings and Happy Monday!

No comments: