Monday, May 13, 2013

"Yes, Sir."

That is what I have been saying all day long.
 
"Yes, sir."
"No ma'am."
"Aye, sir."
"Aye, ma'am."
 
This morning I had my MEP (Military Entrance Process) in Los Angeles at the oh-so-convenient hour of 0445. Yep, you read that right. 4:45AM!!!!! And just to clarify, I had to be there, standing in line, at 0445. Which means I had to wake up at three this morning. *yawn*
 
Can I just say how nice it is to use the freeway during the wee hours of the morning? There's no traffic...like none!! And some of you are probably wondering why on earth that is such a big deal! Well, I'll tell ya! It's because driving into LA at any other time other than 3am means bumper to bumper traffic, a zillion and one cars, and the stress of trying to get to your destination within the same eon of time.  But today posed no such problems. I was in line and standing amidst a throng of strangers at precisely 4:45am. ;) Thank goodness I had made myself a coffee beforehand!
 
I have never felt such a surge of adrenaline in my entire life. To be there, standing before guys in uniform and feeling as though you are one inch tall...there are no words to describe it. ;) The pressure, the straining to hear the sergeant's voice from across the room--everything felt so surreal. Even though it was, quite possibly, the most disorganized, bureaucratic experience I have ever had. lol
 
Today's agenda just involved taking my ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) and my physical. Talk about an exhaustively invasive process! A three hour exam (which I passed with flying colors, praise God!) followed by two more hours of being poked and prodded, stripped and sterilized! lol Thankfully, I had nothing serious to report to medical--other than a few DUIs, some tattoos, and a four year jail sentence. Almost forgot that part. ;)
 
In all seriousness, though, I'm so glad my life (up until this point at least) has been free of baggage. That God, in His grace and foreknowledge, has kept me from experiences that are not only harmful, but degrading to the soul and spirit. I'm not perfect by any means, but I do feel very blessed to have had such a positive, healthy childhood, a substantial upbringing, and a (mostly) drama-free adolescence. ;) It's something I never really appreciated until now.
 
So, yeah. That's about it. I know I still have to post part II of my "'Splanation." Believe me, it's coming. But first I have to catch up on some much needed sleep before I take my practice PFT Physical Fitness Test) on Wednesday! Here's to running 3 miles in 21 min. Or trying to. ;)
 
Love,

No comments: